Reporting Your Ontario Motor Vehicle Collision

Following your involvement in a motor vehicle collision in the province of Ontario, you should act fast when it comes to reporting. In the immediate aftermath, you should remain at the accident site in order to provide assistance to other parties involved. Observe sustained injuries and damages, and if you determine the combined damage to be worth more than $2,000, then you will also need to report the collision.Specific instructions will also be provided the Collision Reporting Center in your area, as well as by your insurance company.

First Steps

Acting fast will be important when it comes to the immediate aftermath of a motor vehicle collision. Report as soon as you can, and remain at the site under all circumstances. If you neglect to remain put, you could be charged with leaving the scene.If possible, you should move your vehicle to the side of the road. However, you are unable to do so due to excessive damages, you will turn on the hazard lights in order to warn oncoming traffic.

If an involved party has been injured, or if you estimate the combined property damages to exceed $2,000, then you will need to notify the closest police station of the accident. While you wait for the officer to arrive, do not try to move any of the injured parties – you may worsen their injuries by doing so.

As way of gathering evidence, you may now take photographic evidence of your injuries, the damages to all vehicles, potentially hazardous surrounding, and the other involved vehicles’ license plates and licenses. Furthermore, if you have reason to believe that any of the other drivers are intoxicated, you will need to notify the police of this matter. Additionally, you need to call on your injury lawyer in Oakville and ensure your rights are protected.

If no one was injured, and if you estimate the combined damages to amount to less than $2,000, then you will need to notify the local Collision Reporting Center within twenty-four hours. They will ask you to fill out a collision report form, and they will have a police officer come in to assess the extent of your vehicle’s sustained damages.

Reporting To Your Insurer

Following your involvement in a motor vehicle collision, you will need to notify your insurance company. The sooner you do this, the better. Inform them of the extend of your sustained injuries, as well as of any damages done to your property. Be detailed in your report, and refrain from over- or under-exaggerating. If you neglect to notify them within a certain time span, they will use this as an excuse to deny your accident claim.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *